Monday, April 27, 2009

The Angles Sing


DoubleD asked me last week if the maiden voyage on the new Mach 4 caused the Heavens to open and the Angles to sing. The first test ride was kind of a mixed bag, as the euphoria of a new bike was blended together with tired legs and knowledge that I would be on the bench for the next 7 days. (more on that another day). So no, the Angles were’nt singing, just whispering I guess.

Fast forward to this weekend. Green Beans, Dr J., Daisy and myself put together a quick camping weekend at Council Bluffs to taste some of SE MO’s best. Within the first 15 min of our Lake loop I began to fall in love. The super plush yet efficient 100mm of suspension that the Mach 4 serves up must have been designed for the flowy rock gardens of SE MO trails, as this baby was heaven on a bun! My old Epic was fast but twitchy. Think about going left, and your already there. The Pivot is still a fast turner, but doesn’t get all jittery when the odometer gets to double digits. It will stick an off camber line like a Chinese Gymnast on the vault. Trail chatter that would sting the hands and cause me to unweight the Epic, is little more than a dull thud on the M4.

My helmet straps were stretched to the max from my cheesy grin and total excitement of the new steed. To say the Angles were singing would be an understatement. In fact they must have been weeping with joy, as the heavens did open and it poured for 5 minutes before returning to blue skies. (note to self, always put the rain fly on the tent when camping in MO, always).

Sunday consisted of some more sweetness on the Middlefork section of the Ozark Trail. If you ride dirt, this is a must do.

I’m stoked for another trip to AR and Syllamo’s Revenge. This new bike will be the Bees Knees for the NW AR trails.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mike, the Angels were signing "I'm on a boat" karaoke style, but Mach 4 is a little faster than the speed of sound so you couldn't hear it, I did however.