Monday, October 26, 2009

10th at the Epic



So everyone knows by now that the BT Epic this year was almost TOO EPIC! Conditions made a difficult course tougher than a piece of beef jerky on stale bread. But that brings out the best in Mt. Bike racers and everyone finished strong with miles of stories to devour over free beer and BBQ.

Enough cant be said about the quality of this race. I've done a lot of events over the years, and even in its two year infancy Scott and his crew from Springfield Bike have created the model for what endurance racing should look like. Smooth check in, prepped course with great markings, crazy swag and prize list, and of course a carnival atmosphere post race.

I never really got the mojo flowing Sun. A long season met sub-par training, and added up to a lackluster finish. The competition really stepped it up this year though, so I'm content.

Props to many BOCOMO riders:

HeavyD -- for "diggingdeep" , one word, to finish a long day
Cole - not from BOCOMO, but for coming from KS to ride and finish "real" single track
Daisy -- for beating the KS boys, and the figs
Evenslower -- for not taking this out on my EPR
Ozenpro -- for stopping to help a fallen rider
Junior -- for sticking it out in the cold rain, only to find the cabin "checked out." My hot tub is open for you anytime (man I felt bad about this one)
Green Beans -- for doing the double
BH -- for not razing me too hard after my poor showing
DoubleShot -- for drinking creekwater, and riding your brains out, to show'em how we roll in Mid MO, and of course taking the win and the $$$

Pics Here

2 comments:

Heavy D said...

I am stronger than I think I am. I can do more think I can.

That is one ass-whoop'in my knees will not forget. I kept waiting the whole ride the hit the fast and flowy part "The Beast" kept yapping about.

It was a great day for a ride and the beer never tasted so good afterwards. I will definately be back next year to put in a sub 9 hour performance!

Haricot Verts said...

My favorite part was when John was rolling down the hill toward the finish yelling "Mike Best is a jerk. This was not fun." Then when Heavy D refused to talk to Mike until he had finished his beers.