Saturday, November 22, 2008

Baggies


Baggy cycling shorts. Now thats a concept engineered for one purpose and one only. You see, the "Baggy" as they're sometimes called has only one true enduring feature, to hide the FAT ass that would normally be visible when wearing lycra cycling shorts. I dont want to hear retort about how baggies have pockets, dont rip as easily, look cool, etc. BS!!! Spandex is superior in every way. So much so that most baggies come with normal lycra shorts as liners. Yep!

In my 20+ years as a cyclist, I've looked at the baggy from time to time, but never made the leap. Something about the friction they cause, or the possibility of a seat snag during a quick get off, always kept me from buying a pair. But times they are a changing. I look around the cycling scene, and I'm the one starting to look a little out of place. And when I'm out riding the CX bike on the gravel of far western Boone County, my orange Spandex kit looks more out of place than Paula Dean at a Nine Inch Nails concert. Some of the guys I ride with rock the baggy, and look good doing it. Fact there's even been a few baggy sightings at some of the local races I've attended. What gives???

So I gave in. Searched the web over for the perfect pair. Found it. Endura MT500. Had to have it! One problem. No US distributers had any...but one. Redfroggear came through with the last size medium in the lower 48, and now I'm rockin the baggy. Do I like em...yes and no. They are warm, good for this time of year. I rolled out of the house today, wearing tights underneath and my wife said I looked like Mickey Mouse. That's not an enduring look for a cyclist. Yes they work as advertised. Will I buy more, probably not. But as the winter season moves in, there's one thing these baggies will do...cover my China Buffet, turkey dinner, 2 donuts for breakfast, home brew drinking fat ASS!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The cool thing about baggies is that you can shred it off road for a couple of hours and head over to the bar for some brews without looking like this guy.

evenslower said...

Hey Peter Pan, you know what else keeps you warm? Hairy legs, I'm just sayin.