Monday, December 8, 2008

ASS!!!

That pretty much sums up my weekend on two wheels. Socially it was a blast, including a Christmas party with the wife’s working buds, and a trip to Flat Branch for dinner with my Cousin and his new wife, but any time I threw a leg over the bike, I was stinking it up like a Dirty Jobs episode.

As you can see above, I made an attempt to flash the world my goods during a trip to Pine Ridge with Jason and Co. Had it not been for the 20 year old tights underneath, my whiteness may have been more prevalent. Funny thing was, even though the temps were in the upper 30’s my butt was still warm. Could have been the stares from Dr J and Fred riding behind I guess.

Late in the week I elected to jump in the State CX race. Much to my surprise, the race took place without me. It appears that social riding for two months, post injury, living on a steady diet of pizza and homebrew, and a two hour ride the day before, equals suckage! The event started well enough, although I got a terrible pick of the gate. I was making some headway and moving up and going full bore. About the ¾ point of the first lap I started to notice the field pulling away, albeit slowly. I went to dig a little deeper, but there was no response from the pistons below. It was an odd feeling really. Aerobically I was comfortable, but I just did not have the power to ride with the leaders, or the mid pack riders, or even the pack fodder near the rear. 21st out of 26 is not something to write home about. Probably the worst race of my career. Oh well, some motivation for the winter months to get back on form. Really I don’t see how anyone can keep it going 10 months out of the year without some serious burnout. My hiatus over the past 7 weeks, corresponding with my little finger mishap, at least has left me ready to go and hungry for success in ’09.

A lesson to all you kids out there looking to be fast, more riding, less beer.

1 comment:

TeamSeagal said...

Who said you have to choose? Come to CXmas for more riding, AND more beer!

-CFR